Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry, creating winning experiences for all our guests.
We are also currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We also take care of our PEOPLE. Here are some of the things we offer:
Full Group Benefits Plan
Discounts on Food
Ontario Attractions Discount
Opportunities for Advancement
Social Responsibility Initiatives
We need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
The position has a critical mandate to oversee the Corporation’s annual payroll expenditures and ensure employees are paid accurately, timely, and in accordance with both statutory requirements and collective agreements. With its high impact to the business and employees, this role is recognized for its sound judgment, discretion, and professionalism combined with excellent stakeholder relationship management and influencing skills as you’re adept at problem solving, providing strategic advice, and handling matters of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
- To step in and manage the corporate payroll functions of the organization for a contract term of 6-8 months while the existing payroll manager is reassigned to a larger transformation initiative to migrate the corporate Human Capital Management (HCM) software system from PeopleSoft to WorkDay.
- Lead and mentor a team to ensure the accuracy & timeliness of weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, and annual payroll processes while upholding a high degree of customer service to stakeholders across the organization. This includes but is not necessarily limited to:
- Processing hourly and salary payrolls and facilitation of communications with external financial institutions.
- Ensuring complex legislative, regulatory, and collective agreement requirements are met (filings, submissions, and remittances).
- Oversee all other time-sensitive payroll responsibilities (i.e. merit increases, special payments, severances, support payments, court deductions, BOD payments, ROEs etc.).
- Year-end procedures including government & non-government filings and reconciliations (i.e. T4, T4a, CPP, EI, EHT, WSIB, T2200, T2200s) etc.
- Other annual processes including financial statement & pension audits, corporate budgeting, PeopleSoft system updates & upgrades etc.
- Ensure Kronos pay rules as they relate to WEG policies and Collective Agreements are adhered to.
- Investigate and resolve payroll discrepancies & queries as they arise.
- Month-end general ledger reconciliations and prompt resolution of all reconciling items
- Using your advanced understanding of the Organization’s operations, policies, and practices, proactively identify issues and potential risks along with the innovative, creative, and timely roll out of required process improvement implementations.
- Adhering to and staying current with all applicable (federal/provincial) legislative requirements, the candidate is the ‘Subject Matter Expert’ for all payroll related issues and questions. The role is solely responsible for ensuring all regulations changes are reviewed, analysed, implemented, and communicated to key stakeholders.
- An innovative thinker and champion of best practices who continually assesses and reviews business processes impacting payroll to identify creative opportunities to support business transformation, automation, and/or streamline processes to drive additional efficiency and effectiveness for the business.
- Manage external relationships, expectations, requirements, service levels, and project manage independent consultants who provide technical software support (PeopleSoft).
- Lead corporate internal and external audits impacting payroll. This includes regularly liaising with all levels of government to address regular queries, issues, and investigations.
- Using your advanced interpersonal skills, work closely and collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to provide guidance and interpret applicable company policies, procedures, employment laws, and collective agreements to ensure that the corporate payroll processes & procedures are following current guidelines, agreements and best practices.
- Ensure impeccable departmental record keeping and documentation is in place as well as the establishment of tightly controlled procedures and audit checks to ensure accounting, legal, and legislative requirements are met.
- Functional lead and strategic decision maker supporting all projects impacting payroll (examples: upgrades & enhancements, D365 integration, Kronos changes impacting payroll integration, benefits upgrades and changes, governmental tax updates, corporate process changes etc.)
- Will help support the HCM project as required including testing, validation, etc.
- Responsible for all other relevant special projects as they arise.
- Expert knowledge of payroll Acts & Regulations (Federal & Provincial) and a detailed knowledge of the Employment Standards Acts and its practical applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of HRIS/payroll systems (PeopleSoft preferred), their operations, and integration with other software & ERP tools.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of Kronos time keeping system and the integration of time entry to Peoplesoft.
- A solid understanding of the functional operation of the finance department and accounting rules.
Skills & Experience
- Hands-on senior level payroll management experience in both salaried and multiple unionized environments
- Ability to multi-task and make decisions in a fast paced and changing environment with time-sensitive deadlines which have broad reaching impacts across the organization.
- Superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to analyze facts and develop recommendations to address routine and frequently non-routine challenges.
- Highly effective at interpreting, implementing and communicating highly complex tax legislative guidance.
- Advanced interpersonal, communication, organization, leadership, and time management skills
- Highly competent in managing both direct and cross departmental priorities & objectives that impact payroll matters.
- Track record of developing a culture of collaboration, accountability and ownership while maintaining positive and consultative working relationships with all levels of employees and management.
- Able to identify opportunities, take initiative and think through future implications to both employees and the corporation.
- A proven track record of discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Project and/or change management experience including process automation.
- Excellent IT and data query skills.
Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skill set.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with HRIS/Payroll system implementation for new business requirements including fact gathering requirements, making design recommendations, providing future state operational solutions, and supporting all testing and post implementation activities.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Business Administration or related field.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) or Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) Designation
· Minimum 8-10 years of full cycle payroll experience with 5 years supervisory experience in a large organization running several payrolls.
- Work in a general office environment with regular business hours.
- Must be able to respond to emergency type situations when they arise.