Senior Application Developer
Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry, creating winning experiences for all our guests.
We are also currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We also take care of our PEOPLE. Here are some of the things we offer:
Full Group Benefits Plan
Discounts on Food
Ontario Attractions Discount
Opportunities for Advancement
Social Responsibility Initiatives
We need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
The Senior Application Developer oversees the design and building of software applications. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production lifecycle. Proficiencies in multiple disciplines would be best to assist Woodbine in finding the best platforms to optimize, modernize or evolve. You will also analyze and lead the effort to amend software errors in a timely and accurate fashion and provide status reports where required.
Strategy & Planning
· Lead and assist other developers, analysts, and designers in conceptualizing and developing new software programs and applications.
· Plan phases of the software development life cycle (SDLC) for a variety of projects.
· Assist in the preparation and documentation of software requirements and specifications.
· Research and document requirements of software users.
· Architect applications for ease of maintenance and longevity.
Acquisition & Deployment
· Conduct research on emerging application development best practices, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
· Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
· Consistently write, translate, code, and test software programs and applications according to specifications.
· Run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
· Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
· Generate statistics and prepare and write reports for management and/or team members on the status of the programming process.
· Guide the development and maintenance of user manuals and guidelines.
· Oversee installation and product support for end users as required.
· Liaise with other technical teams, network administrators, systems analysts, and software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software products or company software systems.
· Manage and/or provide guidance to junior software developers and research assistants.
Formal Education & Certification
· College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science or software engineering, and at least 10 years of equivalent work experience.
· Certifications in professional level Java programming and or other languages.
Knowledge & Experience
· 35% Working technical knowledge of programming languages, and abstraction concepts at the application and data layers including PHP, C#, .NET, .Net Core Python, Scala
· 30% Working technical knowledge of programming languages, and abstraction concepts at the application and data layers including Unity, Unity3D, Mobile Development Android/XCode
· Experience working with enterprise applications.
· Experience developing applications using microservices pattern
· Hands on experience working in integrated development environments, including Eclipse, Maven
· Extensive experience with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux operating systems.
· Extensive experience with MS SQL, MySQL, Synapse, Big Query databases.
· DevOps experience: Azure DevOps, Jira, Jenkins, GitHub
· Cloud Computing: Docker\Kubernetes stack, Azure VMs, GCP, AWS
· Extensive experience with object relational models such as Hibernate.
· Extensive experience with software modeling notations.
· Familiarity with wagering and or horse racing industry would be terrific.
· Solid working knowledge of current Internet technologies.
· Hands-on software troubleshooting experience.
· Experience with all phases of the software development life cycle.
· Familiarity with java software development methodologies.
· Experience with communicating business needs to technical teams.
· Flexible and adaptable regarding learning and understanding new technologies.
· Proven leadership ability.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Ability to conduct research into software-related issues and products.
· Highly logical.
· Technically proficient.
· Highly self-motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
· Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
· Emphasizes quality and process.