Senior Human Resources (Labour Relations) Business Partner
Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry. From King’s and Queen’s trips to Canada, to first dates, anniversaries and unforgettable horse races, we have been creating winning experiences for all our guests.
We are currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
The Human Resources Business Partner is responsible for driving strategic initiatives and achieving business objectives through the provision of PX leadership, support, and strategic business thinking. Partners will identify Human Resources and organizational development issues, and designs, develops, and delivers tailored solutions that meet the business units’ needs, specifically in the areas of labour relations, employee relations, talent management, workforce planning, and performance management.
- Engages as a strategic advisor in all aspects of Human Resources short- and long-term planning, performance management, and leadership development, recommending innovative solutions to leaders and empowering them to effectively manage their teams
- Supports WEG’s culture and employment brand and helps define the people solutions required to build and maintain employee attraction, engagement, retention and high performance
- Collaborates with a variety of stakeholders to develop and implement creative solutions aligned with the business’ vision and strategic direction in support of the overall goal of providing quality support and services
- Participates in the development and implementation of PX SOP’s, policies and programs
- Delivers a high level of human resources consulting to both business units and management, providing advice, coaching, and leadership on all Human Resources matters
- Serves as liaison with Managers, union representatives, and senior executives, as necessary, to discuss and resolve employee/union grievances, complaints, and issues; prepares for and manages the grievance process up to and including arbitration
- Provides support to the PX leaders in preparing for and conducting labour negotiations; conducts research and analysis in areas pertinent to labour relations strategy, planning and tactics, helping to formulate WEG’s position
- Works with the union to ensure maximum effectiveness in the implementation of the collective bargaining agreement; acts as the primary staff resource to the Labour Management Committee, identifying common issues and concerns and working collaboratively through to solutions in a constructive way
- Utilizes a proactive problem-solving approach, working with leaders, employees and union representatives, where appropriate, to better manage conflict and resolve difficult employment situations
- Provides advice to leadres on labour and employment issues, including human rights issues, progressive discipline, and terminations
- Advises leaders and PX colleagues on the interpretation of relevant policies, collective bargaining agreements, legislation and other terms and conditions of employment, ensuring that all relevant legislated, negotiated, and policy-driven obligations are met
- Provides employee relations support, counseling managers on employee issues (e.g., conflict resolution, performance management, discipline, promotion, etc.); advises on contentious issues (e.g., terminations, wrongful dismissal) and coaches Managers on how to resolve complex situations
- Leverages experience and knowledge of PX policies and procedures, employment law, and knowledge of the business to provide timely, efficient, innovative, and value-added insights and solutions on employment-related issues and concerns
- Conducts both straightforward and complex workplace investigations with respect to such issues as harassment, human rights code violations and employment complaints, and recommend options for resolving issues
- Consults with employees and Managers to identify and address root causes of human resources issues and works to mediate and resolve conflicts utilizing a systematic approach
- Makes change a people process, providing the ongoing support and communication necessary to overcome resistance and secure buy-in
- Supports and works with Learning and Development to develop organizational and leadership development solutions that align with business strategies and furthers organizational goals and initiatives
- Provides day-to-day guidance and coaching to leaders, enhancing their ability to coach employees with a view to optimizing performance and improving the business’ overall effectiveness
- Works with leaders to address performance issues, using a sound corrective action process when needed, and follows up on resolution/improvement
- Coaches leaders on employee relations and performance issues, including the creation and implementation of performance improvement plans
Key Success Factors
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or a related discipline.
- Recognized Human Resources designations such as CHRP or CHRL are an asset
- A minimum of 7 – 10 years of progressive experience as a Human Resources Business Partner in an organization of a similar size including 3+ years of people management experience
- Collective bargaining and labour relations experience is required
- Strong knowledge and understanding of relevant employment and HR-related legislation (e.g., employment standards, human rights, health and safety, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, privacy, compensation, etc.)
- Ability to engender trust and respect and establish natural, comfortable working relationships with the all levels of leadership, Union partners, and all unionized and non-union employees
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, including conflict resolution skills
- Clear demonstration of employee relations experience, working through potentially complex situations and escalations.
- Ability to lead change and influence the business from a position of credibility and competence.
- Ability to design and implement strategies which maximize employee potential and foster high ethical standards in meeting the business’ vision, mission, and goals.
- Ability to analyze data, understand trends, and develop recommendations for action based on the analysis.
- Understands and embraces the value of an inclusive and diverse workforce where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported.