Standardbred Racing Internship
SB Race office MHK
Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry. From King’s and Queen’s trips to Canada, anniversaries and unforgettable horse races, we have been creating winning experiences for all our guests.
We are currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
Woodbine has a new and exciting opportunity that we would like to share. We are launching our Standardbred Racing Internship Program for our 2022 season. This is a temporary assignment and is an amazing opportunity for team members to pursue their potential and experience the thrill of horse-racing first-hand.
The successful incumbents will spend an exciting 16 weeks working in all facets of the Racing Department to better understand Standardbred Racing and the day-to-day running of both the Racing Operations and our Race Office. This program aims to expose team members to the world of racing to learn more about the industry and possibly open the door for more career opportunities in the future. The hourly wage rate for this internship will be $18 per hour, working 40 hours per week.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Racing Operations, this Internship within the Standardbred Racing department will provide support to multiple areas over a 16 week period. This position will be provided with an introduction to Standardbred Racing, while learning race office management and race night operations.
- Observe the work of departmental subject matter experts and make note of best practices and main accountabilities
- Develop and maintain a professional relationship with internal departments including Printing, Guest Experience, Marketing and Media, and external clients such as trainers, owners, and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario
- Assist the Race Office. Duties may include, but will not be limited to, taking horse entries from trainers/owners for races. Ensure horses that have been entered into the race are not on any lists (vet, starter, and/or judges) and are able to compete in the specified race.
- Assist the Staking Manager when needed. Duties may include, but will not be limited to, entering all nominating & sustaining horses, prepare lists of horses eligible to WEG & Alliance Stakes. Ensure all payments are balanced, and purses for all added money events are correct
- Assist the Bookkeeper when needed. Duties may include, but will not be limited to, entering race results in InCompass, printing, balancing and delivering WEG & Alliance cheques
- Learn race night operations including Charter, Placing Judge as well as paddock operations
- Assist on major race nights with owners and any requests they may have to ensure they have a world class experience on site
- Organize and promote any major or special events as required
Key Success factors
- 1-2 years experience working in a customer service environment an asset
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to exchange information clearly and concisely
- Must have good time management and multitasking skills
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- Excellent customer service skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft programs