Manager, Racing Surfaces
SB Racing MHK
For over 100 years, we have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry. From King’s and Queen’s trips to Canada, to first dates, anniversaries and unforgettable horse races, we create winning experiences for all our guests.
Join a certified Great Place to Work team and be part of the future of horse racing and entertainment. Access exciting programs that can help unlock your potential while developing challenging and rewarding career goals. As we grow, we need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
This position's purpose is the effective and efficient maintenance of the Standardbred Racing surface at Mohawk Park. This role includes direct responsibility for the overall management and day-to-day supervision of the track maintenance team, which includes unionized and non-unionized employees.
- Develop, manage, and lead an effective Standardbred Racing Surfaces team to ensure all racing participants' safety (equine and human). Support Woodbine Mohawk Park's position as the leader in racetrack safety in North America by developing and executing racing surface operating plans that support Woodbine Mohawk Park's overall standardbred racing strategy
- Provide leadership and direction to the Standardbred Racing Surfaces Track Maintenance team. Manage, assess, and monitor overall staff performance and identify areas for improvement, development, and additional training
- Manage the standardbred racetrack maintenance, ensuring safety and compliance and readiness for racing, training, qualifying. Make informed recommendations to the Director, Standardbred Racing, on whether racing should be cancelled and provide back up and insight on the issue at hand in terms of track condition and safety.
- Manage the capital requirement for equipment– make recommendations to the Director, Standardbred Racing on equipment and asset acquisitions.
- Contribute to the development of and manage the Standardbred Racing Surfaces budget.
- Develop and maintain maintenance programs/logs for tracks to ensure they meet industry standards.
- Responsible for assessing operational staffing to efficiently and effectively meet the operational demands of all racing, qualifying & training. Make recommendations to Director, Standardbred Racing on required staffing levels.
- Ensure all equipment is in safe working condition and ensure staff are adequately trained
- Ensure Horse Ambulance, Starting Gate & track lights are operational and in good working order for live racing
- Brief and partner with external stakeholders (including drivers and trainers) regarding track racing concerns and provide an industry-leading guest experience
- Interpret, administer and implement the applicable Collective Agreement, organizational policies and PX policies.
- Exhibit and demonstrate and encourage the core values of Respect, Integrity, Accountability, and Excellence.
Key Success Factors
- Minimum 3 years of racing surfaces maintenance/ management background
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a supervisory position within a unionized environment is an asset
- Extensive experience operating a Grader
- Advanced knowledge of the horse racing industry
- Advanced understanding of racing equipment and materials
- General knowledge of track surfaces and related issues and machinery
- General understanding of the operational and regulatory structure of horse racing
- General knowledge of WHMIS and Health and Safety Acts and relevant regulations
- Basic knowledge of union contracts and human relations
- Take charge attitude in resolving problems with creative solutions
- Demonstrate and model professionalism, courtesy, consideration and respect to internal and WEG guests at all times
- General leadership and people skills with a demonstrated ability to work as a team player representing the Racing department
- Develop and maintain relationships with all departments to effectively coordinate work
- Collaborate and demonstrate flexibility in filling work orders from other departments
- Respond in a timely and effective manner to unexpected and immediate needs of trainers/customers
- The ability to interact with customers/trainers to monitor the level of service satisfaction and deal with complaints/corrections immediately
- General computer skills in a Windows and MS Office Suite environment