Assistant Manager, Food and Beverage
Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry. From King’s and Queen’s trips to Canada, anniversaries and unforgettable horse races, we have been creating winning experiences for all our guests.
We are currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
Reporting to the Manager, Hospitality Outlets, this position is responsible in executing the departments’ daily, weekly and monthly operating plan and provides coaching and support to Supervisors and front-line team members. As a Service leader in the Woodbine Hospitality Department, the Assistant Manager leads and assists the Manager in overseeing the business and provides support to Supervisors and team Members to operate in a manner consistent with established departmental policies and procedures. The scope of responsibility will vary based on the outlet(s) and the Assistant Manager will assist the Manager with the need to develop and implement innovative programs, operational processes and procedures that reduce short- and long-term operating costs and increase sales and profitability. Key responsibilities include ensuring day to day operational excellence and supporting the team members to ensure we are delivering winning experiences to our guests and leading in a manner that’s consistent with the company’s values and beliefs.
- Collect and organize daily administrative dutiesthat all daily responsibilities are carried out by Supervisors & Team Captains.
- Organize and manage the overall staffing schedule templates
- Creation of weekly schedules within the approved labour budget
- Review and approve weekly payroll through the time and attendance system
- Assist the Manager in addressing and investigating any employee issues such as performance management, attendance management, grievances, disciplinary outcomes, etc. of all team members.
- Train, coach and assist Supervisors in all aspects of the operation to ensure that peak periods (i.e. meal period) runs flawlessly.
- Monitor the planning, organizing of efficient preparation, production of food and beverage and the merchandising plans for Hospitality outlets.
- Ensure that all food and beverage products are executed 100% to the standards of performance -recipe builds and merchandizing planograms.
- Assist the Manager with the introduction and promotion of any new Concepts / Products / Equipment / Promotions and be a departmental expert within these areas.
- Meet & communicate regularly with the Manager and report all special occurrences that may be detrimental to the operation and prepare an action plan to improve these areas.
- Support the Supervisor on delivering high energy / detailed pre-shift & post-shift meetings. Collaborate with the Manager and provide the Supervisors weekly shift meeting topics that have the highest impact on the business
- Communicate and train Supervisors on the departments’ SOP’s, standards and policies and procedures and ensure that all Supervisors fully understand all SOP standards and pass on the information and coach team members accordingly.
- Be the 2nd level in the escalation process for handling guest complaints and make necessary adjustments to create winning experiences for both the guest and the team member. Empower all team members and supervisors to make guest-based decisions to ensure all guest have a positive and enjoyable experience.
- Monitoring proper ordering and receiving of goods to Hospitality Outlets from the Warehouse/Kitchen department.
- Lead by example to exhibit, encourage and motivate WEG’s Values and Beliefs
- Minimum grade 12 education
- Recognized course in Hotel / Restaurant Administration / Management
- 3-4 years practical experience in managing a multi unit F & B operation
- Certified in WHMIS, Food Handler & Smart Serve
- Experience managing people required.
- Advanced knowledge of QSR and F&B operations
- Advanced knowledge of collective agreements and leading in a unionized environment
- Advanced knowledge in safe food handling practices
- Advanced knowledge in safe alcoholic beverage practices
- Competent knowledge in inventory control systems
- Competent in resolving conflicts, coaching and training.
- General knowledge in financial reports and operational impacts to results
- Advanced knowledge in food preparation techniques, production requirements and merchandising