Supervisor, Racing Surfaces
SB Racing MHK
Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry, creating winning experiences for all our guests.
We are also currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We also take care of our PEOPLE. Here are some of the things we offer:
Full Group Benefits Plan
Discounts on Food
Ontario Attractions Discount
Opportunities for Advancement
Social Responsibility Initiatives
We need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
Reporting to the Director, Racing Surfaces, the Supervisor is responsible for the oversight and leadership of the day-to-day maintenance of the Woodbine Mohawk Park (WMP) Racing Surface. The goal is to deliver effective and efficient oversight of the Racing Surface operations, that will ultimately lead to an exceptional racing surface for our Horse people.
The Supervisor is expected to provide operational and site leadership by implementing best practices, structure, and rigor into the business, while demonstrating Woodbine’s Values and Beliefs for our people.
- Provide direction and guidance to Racing Surfaces staff. Monitor performance, identify and recommend opportunities for development and growth and/or additional training.
- Provide day to day supervision of the operation and daily maintenance of the Standardbred racing surface for racing at the WMP location and ensure the track and equipment are operational and maintained in safe working order.
- Ensure hourly staff complete all assigned tasks and that adequate equipment and materials are available to ensure effective and efficient maintenance to Racing Surface
- Manage daily staff attendance and scheduling. Ensure compliance to Collective Agreement and/or applicable company/regulatory agency rules and regulations.
- Provide effective and efficient communication to Drivers & Grader Operators regarding daily operational standards, prioritization and assignment of work, critical information such as compliance to various Acts/Regulations, and all other information relevant in the performance of their duties.
- Make recommendations to Superintendent, Racing Surfaces to cancel racing due to adverse or dangerous weather conditions. Address Stakeholder’s concerns with respect to track surface issues,
- Consistently and fairly apply and enforce compliance to all WHMIS, Health & Safety, ESA, TSSA, building code, fire code, Alcohol and Gaming Commission and any department operational policies developed by our client’s Management.
- Adhere to the applicable Racing Surfaces budget, taking into consideration the available resources, the organization’s priorities and the needs of the business units and external environments.
- Investigate and resolve routine, day to day problems related to equipment and materials and refer more complex matters to the Superintendent, Racing Surfaces.
- Monitor and bring to the attention of the Director, Racing Surfaces, unacceptable employee behavior or infractions to the terms and conditions of the Collective Agreement and/or applicable company/regulatory agency rules and regulations.
- Manages daily track log process on the WMP track surface, ensuring accuracy and efficiency.
- Ensures all related equipment is in safe working condition and ensures staff are properly trained including Horse Ambulance, Starting Gate and Emergency Lights are operational for racing.
- Works collaboratively with Property Services team in the operational service approach in the areas of road maintenance, snow removal, grounds maintenance and training
- Exhibits, demonstrates, and encourages from others the core values of Respect, Integrity, Accountability and Excellence.
Knowledge & Skills
- General to advanced knowledge of track surfaces and related issues.
- General knowledge of horse racing industry.
- General understanding of the operational and regulatory structure of horse racing.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, leadership, organizational and management skills.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office Suite) and able to multi-task in an ever changing, demanding environment.
- Must be flexible and innovative.
- Ability to maintain and influence internal and external relationships.
- Minimum Secondary School diploma
- Post secondary education (degree/certificate/diploma) in Property Services and/or Turf Management or related field.
- 3-5 years practical experience in a similar environment.
- Exposure to external weather conditions and dust, noise.
- Must be able to respond to numerous outside influences and impacts.