Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry, creating winning experiences for all our guests.
We are also currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We also take care of our PEOPLE. Here are some of the things we offer:
Full Group Benefits Plan
Discounts on Food
Ontario Attractions Discount
Opportunities for Advancement
Social Responsibility Initiatives
We need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
Woodbine Entertainment, a global leader in horse racing and Canada’s largest racetrack operator, is looking for a bold, ambitious, high-energy and talented on-air host/commentator to help us build our brand, deliver compelling stories and drive wagering handle for our world class racing product.
This position will not only be one of the main hosts on our thoroughbred simulcast, which is distributed globally, but they will also contribute to creating compelling content across multiple platforms including for our social media channels, digital properties, internal events, stakeholder events, and live network broadcasts for major events like The Queen’s Plate. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of horse racing and handicapping coupled with the talent, instincts and ability to create content that resonates with not only today’s horse racing wagering fans, but the sports betting fan as well. Consistently trying to connect with customers in new and fun ways, the ideal candidate will identify and tell stories and provide robust reporting, must-watch interviews and innovative research/handicapping information. We’re looking for a bold thinker who challenges the status quo, has passion for the sport, and has the skills to create content that engages our target audience, including current and new customers.
- Lead by example, to exhibit, encourage and motivate WEG”s Values and Beliefs
- Hosting of Woodbine’s Thoroughbred pre-game (Horseplayers’) show
- Hosting of Woodbine Mohawk Park’s pre-game (Horseplayers’) show (as needed)
- Hosting of Woodbine’s Thoroughbred daily simulcast card
- Hosting of Woodbine Mohawk Park’s full nightly simulcast card (as needed)
- Interview racing participants for/during the Horseplayers’ show and simulcasts with the purpose to drive wagering handle
- Selections and tickets as required for display on various platforms to help drive wagering handle
- Pre-edited segments as required (fronting, voice overs, writing)
- Hosting of thoroughbred and standardbred events (ie Post Position draws) as required
- Live or pre-recorded pieces for Woodbine Entertainment’s social media platforms as required
- Appearances/interviews on industry radio and social media programs as required
- Possible race-calling backfill (both breeds)
- Hosting of Broadcast Network coverage of Woodbine/Woodbine Mohawk Park’s race coverage
- Be the corporate face/moderator for all of Woodbine Entertainment’s external and public-facing meetings (as needed)
Key Success Factors:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in broadcasting, journalism or equivalent work-related experience.
- 5-10 years experience working on-air in horse racing or sports coverage
- Experience working on network television preferred
- Proven track record of horse race handicapping and wagering on horse racing
- Significant understanding of sports betting in Ontario/Canada and globally
- General understanding of content delivery on various social media channels such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok
- Avid sports bettor and/or consumer of sports betting content
- Advanced communication and organization skills, combined with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinker
- Thrives in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work the live racing schedule (weekends and some evenings)
- You’re mobile and have the ability to get to Woodbine, Mohawk or wherever you are needed on location