Director, People Relations
Our rich history is a big part of who we are. With historic roots dating back over 135 years, Woodbine is steeped in tradition. We have been the engine that drives the Ontario horse racing industry. From King’s and Queen’s trips to Canada, to first dates, anniversaries and unforgettable horse races, we have been creating winning experiences for all our guests.
At Woodbine we are currently on an amazing 20-year journey to ‘build a city within a city’ and transform the largest privately held land in Toronto into one of Canada’s premiere entertainment destinations. This journey will unlock the value of approximately 700 acres of land, leading to job creation and the revitalization of our communities, while enhancing our ability to share the thrill of horse-racing and cementing our place as an entertainment powerhouse.
We are also a certified Great Place to Work! Access exciting programs that can help unlock your potential while developing challenging and rewarding career goals. As we grow, we need dedicated people to join our cause. Be part of Woodbine Entertainment and get inspired to make work awesome!
Our Values & Beliefs
| WOW EVERY GUEST | OWN IT! | LISTEN & CONNECT – PEOPLE MATTER | FUEL THE FUN & PASS IT ON | TRUST IN OUR TEAM | #WE CARE | PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL |BE BOLD| BE ALL IN |
Are you a strategic human resources leader who has built and mentored progressive teams? Are you passionate about building and fostering an engaged workplace culture that’s driven through being bold and thinking differently? Do you have strong influencing and relationship building strength to collaborate with labour groups?
We are looking for a senior leader to join the People Experience (PX) team at Woodbine Entertainment (WE). As the Director, you will provide guidance to the People Relations team overseeing employee and labour relations, workforce scheduling and recruitment.
Candidates who can demonstrate passion, both for their individual contributions and for being an integrated part of our team, will win us over. We are seeking an amazing HR leader to help us grow our culture and evolve the way people work so we can change the world, one day at a time.
What could your month look like?
As one of the senior leaders of the People Experience team, one week you’ll be leading a highly volatile investigation into a workplace conflict, the next, you will be preparing to chair the collective bargaining process with our operations managers and labour groups, on another week, you’ll be managing our talent strategy by collaborating with senior leaders with respect to headcount management.
What you’ll do:
•Provide insight into business strategy based on people and organizational strengths and constraints. Frame issues and brings the right insights and recommendations to discussions and problem solve to create effective solutions
• Ensure the executive team and Board have appropriate and timely information regarding labour and organizational management issues
•Manage the People Relations, Workforce Scheduling and Recruitment teams, and evolve the teams at an appropriate pace and skill set with the changing needs of the business
•Focus on individual and departmental performance, and ensuring that there is alignment between our (PX) strategic plans, tactical activities and employee performance recognition
•Evaluate, enhance/develop, and implement Human Resources practices of the organization to ensure not only support the strategic plans of the organization, but also that they are in compliance with relevant regulations
•Comfortable collaborating with a team that requires hands on proficiency
• Lead the collective bargaining strategy and process as well as represent WE at arbitrations, mediations and hearings as they occur
•Providing recommendations and advice for a variety of employee relations issues as they occur
•Lead the assessment of organizational and employee impacts of potential business decisions and provide recommendations and action plans
•Lead by example, to exhibit, encourage and motivate WE’s Values and Beliefs
What we're looking for:
• Someone who has completed a university or college degree/diploma in a field related to Human Resources Management or the equivalent in education and experience
• An individual who has a minimum of ten (10) years progressive related experience in a Human Resources Manager/Director capacity with a focus on labour relations and preferably recruitment
• A Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) preferred or Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) a strong asset
• A strong leader with extensive experience working in a service focused unionized environment
• Demonstrated high level of business acumen and knowledge of human resources best practices
• High levels of resourcefulness, influence/organizational savvy, leadership skills (strategy through implementation) as well as leadership presence/impact are critical to the success of this individual
• Ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast paced environment
• Strong relationship management and excellent listening skills. This role must encourage strong team interaction across a breadth of business experience
• Able to provide hands-on HR support for both tactical and strategic business issues. Strategic thinker with the ability to align HR solutions in support of the business objectives
• Experience in culture shift patterns (millennial to baby boomer workforce)