Our Community Garden
Growing our community
The Community Food Garden at Woodbine Racetrack provides families in need with access to fresh, healthy food, while strengthening the communities around us.
This very special space — our community garden devoted to the cultivation of delicious produce for neighbourhoods in need — also allows us to:
- promote local food systems
- enhance food security, and
- increase local knowledge and skills-sharing.
In this fertile initiative, we work closely with Canadian charity Evergreen, Canada’s leading environmental charity known for transforming landscapes into thriving community spaces, to ensure that the Community Food Garden can reach its full potential.
With Evergreen’s help, we have been able to support a number of community groups in the Rexdale neighbourhood who have an urgent need for access to healthy food. As the garden expands, so will the number of groups it can support. We are consistently working towards including more of the community in the programming and harvest.
Watch this video to learn more:
A growing list of important milestones, goals and supporters
In 2017, our Community Food Garden celebrated a bounty of achievements:
- Produced over 1500lbs of food harvested
- Engaged over 500 volunteers who contributed over 1500 volunteer hours
- Provided harvest for 4 local community groups & 1 food bank
- Engaged 45 youth in the community by providing 6 educational workshops
- Directly impacted over 700 community members & at-risk youth through providing harvest
- Provided corporate volunteer opportunities for 4 different organizations
For 2018, we are digging in to accomplish the following goals:
- Provide 5000lbs of healthy, fresh produce and distribute to communities in need
- Produce 500 organic vegetable, herb and flower seedlings for community distribution
- Provide four internships for local youth
- Provide educational opportunities for more than 200 local youth & community members
Thank you to our Community Food Garden Supporters