Woodbine Entertainment is implementing Phase 1 of an Enhanced Screening Program as an additional safety measure at Woodbine Racetrack starting this Saturday June 12, 2021, for live racing. The Enhanced Screening Program will include easy to do, self-administered rapid testing for COVID-19.
Individuals who have been identified as critical to our live racing operations will be required to participate in Phase 1 of the program on race days. This includes Jockeys, Pony Riders, and specific Woodbine Entertainment Employees who work in the Jockeys’ Room, operate the Starting Gate, and On-Air Hosts amongst others.
These individuals will be offered the option of opting out of the Enhanced Screening Program at any time by confidentially providing an enhanced screening administrator with authentication of completing of two (2) doses of vaccination. Please note that individuals will only be exempt 14 calendar days after the date of their second vaccination dose.
All essential personnel accessing the property are still required to follow all COVID-19 Prevention Protocols, including the use of face masks, practicing physical distancing at all times (when possible), and mandatory daily screening that consists of the screening questionnaire and forehead temperature check. We must continue to work together and to be as safe as possible to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and avoidable future disruptions in racing.
The Enhanced Screening Process on Live Race Days
- The Enhanced Screening Program will initially be required on live race days only.
- Further information regarding Enhanced Screening on non-live race days will be communicated in the next few days.
- Upon arrival, individuals will be asked to complete their initial screening with Woodbine Security, as per normal protocols.
- They will then be asked to go to the Enhanced Screening Centre (Gate 10 in the Woodbine Grandstand, except for Start Gate Employees, Pony Riders, Outriders, which will take place in the Rec Room on the Woodbine Backstretch) where they will have the opportunity to provide proof of full vaccination (first and second dose) to be exempt from the program.
- Otherwise, the individual will complete their mandatory consent document and enhanced screening.
- Upon completion of the enhanced screening, they will be permitted to enter the facility and proceed to their work area.
- If the results of the rapid test are positive, Woodbine Entertainment security will notify the individual within 30 minutes and at that time they will be required to leave the property.
- The Enhanced Screening Centre will open three (3) hours prior to the first post-time and be available until the last post-time.
- Individuals participating in the program are encouraged to arrive a couple minutes earlier than they normally would.
- Dedicated and trained screening staff and Woodbine Entertainment security will be at the Enhanced Screening Centre to help individuals with the rapid testing.
- Individuals will perform the rapid testing themselves, which is straight-forward and less invasive than a test at a laboratory or pharmacy (PCR test).
- To receive the rapid test, individuals will be required to provide one-time consent to share their test result anonymously (without any personal information associated with it) with the rapid testing supplier. The anonymous test results collected by the testing supplier will be used as research in effort to further stop the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.
- The test results will be available within 30 minutes. If you do not hear from Woodbine Entertainment Security within 30 minutes, then you have tested negative.
- Individuals who test positive will be required to leave the property immediately and seek a laboratory PCR test within 24 hours to confirm the rapid test result. The individual will be required to self-isolate while waiting for the PCR test results.
For the Enhanced Screening Program to be effective in further protecting our live racing program, mandatory participation is required, unless an individual has voluntarily opted out of the program by providing proof of full vaccination (first and second dose).
Individuals who choose not to participate in the Enhanced Screening Program and sign the necessary consent will not be granted access to Woodbine Racetrack.
Thank you for your ongoing commitment in following the COVID-19 Prevention Protocols and making our community as safe as possible.