As COVID-19 continues to spread through our communities, Woodbine Entertainment (Woodbine) is updating our best practices to help protect live racing in Ontario.
Moving forward, all personnel, including Owners, Trainers, Drivers and Grooms, attending Woodbine Racetrack or Woodbine Mohawk Park must complete the Daily Screening form prior to their arrival. Please accurately complete the form which is hosted on the following webpages:
Additionally, Woodbine requires anyone traveling from outside of Ontario (including participants from other provinces) to prove when they arrived in Ontario, to self-isolate for 14 days from their arrival date and to receive negative results from a COVID-19 test administered after 10 days of isolation. This includes anyone who has received a quarantine exemption at the Canadian Border.
- The border between the United States of America (U.S.A.) and Canada is temporarily closed to non-essential crossings. Canadians currently racing in the U.S.A., may be permitted to return, however, they are subject to all federal and provincial guidelines in addition to Woodbine protocols.
- Participants entering the country are advised to check the Canada Border Services Agency website prior to departing for the border.
- Any Woodbine-employed labour such as valets or starting gate staff are not permitted to work at any other racetrack during the 2020 racing season, unless approved in advance by Woodbine Entertainment.
Ship-Ins (Woodbine Racetrack)
Woodbine Entertainment will enforce the following conditions for horses entering the backstretch from within and out of the province.
- Security must be informed in advance of all arrival times.
- Arrangements must be made for horses to be trained and cared for by AGCO licensed backstretch personnel not under 14-day quarantine.
- Drivers are not permitted to exit vans / vehicles.
- Only Canadian personnel working for transportation company are permitted to enter the vans / vehicles, the same personnel will release the horse to barn staff outside of the van /vehicle.
- All barn personnel must wear personal protective equipment including face masks and gloves.
Foreign Participants Arriving for Select Race Events Protocol (Woodbine Mohawk Park)
Arrangements for foreign participants arriving for select race events must be made in advance with the Director, Standardbred Racing Bill McLinchey (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Foreign participants or Canadians that have travelled outside the country, will be allowed access to race at Woodbine Mohawk Park under the following conditions:
- Woodbine requires anyone traveling from outside of Ontario (including participants from other provinces) to prove when they arrived in Ontario, to self-isolate for 14 days before 6 p.m. on race night and to receive negative results from a COVID-19 test administered after 10 days of isolation. This includes anyone who has received a quarantine exemption at the Canadian Border.
- Please note, proof of date of arrival into Canada is required to be presented to the Director, Standardbred Racing in advance of race night.
- It is highly recommended that foreign participants do not attend a Training Centre in Canada until the results of a negative COVID-19 test are received.
- Foreign or returning trainers, assistant trainers and grooms will be permitted in the Race Paddock once they have met the above conditions.
If you have concerns or suspect another may not have followed the above conditions, please reach out to Security leads Robert Jordan (Woodbine) at RJordan@woodbine.com or Shawn Wade (Woodbine Mohawk Park) at email@example.com. Thank you for your continued commitment preventing the spread of the COVID-19.